Welcome!

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be

Friday, February 17, 2012

Hugs

This week I have spent a lot of time thinking about hugs. When I'm feeling broken or alone, a warm embrace makes me feel so much better. Being in the arms of someone I love just makes me feel safe. It makes me feel loved.

In moments when no words will help, a simple hug can be just what I needed.

This week at work, my heart broke. We have a strict policy, and for good reason (I assume), that we aren't allowed to hug the girls. It's heartbreaking and devastating to be a part of the moment when the girl has break down. When she finally decides to open up and let us in. When she decides to let her guard down and trust that we will do everything in our power to help her. . .

She reached out for a hug and because of a policy, she was denied. It made her feel rejected. Dirty. Like an outcast. So utterly broken and alone.

I so strongly believe that a hug can do a miracle in the lives of these girls. Our job is to make them feel loved. And what bad will come from a hug initiated by the girl?

Just a frustrating week of heartbreak on both ends. These girls NEED love. Why can't we just give it to them?

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. How very sad. I hope you are able to at least explain? I'm sure they still feel loved by your sweet spirit and warmth you show them.
    Keep your chin up ;)
    xox

    ReplyDelete