Welcome!

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be

Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Journey

On April 29th, it was a warm Phoenix day. An ordinary day for most people - but an extraordinary day for myself and 5 others. April 29th, 2014 was the day I left for the journey of a lifetime.

I spent most of the day scrambling around the house doing last minute packing, hoping I wouldn't forget anything (which, of course I did). But at 4 o'clock in the afternoon we gathered with family and friends at Grand Canyon University for prayer and a group send off. And then we were on our way.

Checking our bags and getting through airport security was a breeze. Now it was real. It hit me; my dream was coming true. I was about to get on a plane and go to AFRICA to work in a hospital. A hospital whose motto is "healing the sick and proclaiming the kingdom of God."  Wow.

God is so good.

[Here we are with the Kenya team in the Phoenix airport!]

My last American meal was in the Phoenix airport at McDonald's.  Oh boy.

I eagerly awaited my row to be called for boarding. It finally was and I boarded the 747. Biggest. Plane. Ever. I felt like I was living a scene of Bridesmaids as I walked to my seat in Coach ;)

After 10 and a half hours of airplane movies, drifting in and out of sleep, turbulence, and those lovely plane potty breaks we all know and love, I had arrived in London! What a dream!

I was so blessed to spend 24 hours in London before boarding my next plane to Entebbe, Uganda. There will be another post to come about my time in London, but after much walking and public transportation and an exhausting day, we slept and were ready for the second leg of our journey.


The next morning, we got a ride to the airport on the bus and we breezed past London-Heathrow airport security and awaited our departure to Entebbe, Uganda!


Finally, we boarded and we were off! After 8 hours of airplane movies, drifting in and out of sleep, turbulence, and those lovely plane potty breaks, I had arrived in Entebbe,  Uganda. AFRICA.

We collected our luggage and found our driver already there waiting for us. We loaded our luggage into the van and headed to the Boma Hotel. It was incredible. A beautiful hotel - surrounded by nature and all of its sounds. We had a wonderful stay at The Boma and the next morning we ate breakfast and were on our way to the hospital in Mbale - about 6 hours away.

We stopped in Jinja to exchange money and eat lunch. We ate at The Source Café and the food was great!



 After lunch, we continued on our journey and we finally made it to the hospital! We were now in Mbale,  Uganda.



I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment