Welcome!

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be

Thursday, July 3, 2014

I prayed. He answered.

I prayed. I prayed that God would place a dream in my heart so big that if it came true, it would be clear to me; it would be clear His love is deep, it would be clear HE made my dream happen, and it would be clear I was made for this.

He answered.

I prayed. I prayed, "Break my heart for what breaks yours." And Jesus wrecked my heart. He wrecked my heart and he wrecked the perfect little life I had planned out for myself.

He answered.

I prayed. I prayed that God would reveal that people like me are out there. People that love, and love hard. People that desire travel. People that require adventure. People that write. People that understand what life is about. People that don't need things; people that get it.

He answered.

I prayed. I prayed that God would radically change the way I live. That I wouldn't come back home and return to a life of normalcy; but rather make important and intricate changes - changes like living on less and living for more.

He answered.


The Lord is funny sometimes. We pray and pray - at times expectantly and other times not so much. He always answers. He always answers. He doesn't always answer the way we expect or the way we hope; but He always answers.

The Lord is funny because I prayed my prayers and His answers were, at times, completely unexpected.

I prayed about a dream and The Lord answered. He answered by placing a dream in my heart so big that I knew I could never achieve it on my own. The Lord placed a dream in my heart to do medical missions in Africa. I didn't know how I would get there. I didn't even know where on the continent I would go - but I KNEW The Lord placed this dream in my heart, and I KNEW He would see me through. And He did. He finished this work in me. The Lord allowed me follow this dream and fulfill this dream. He gave me the incredible opportunity to go to Uganda for 2 months and work in a Pediatric Neurosurgery hospital. It was the most incredible trip of my life. It was the most fulfilling time of my life. I met the most amazing people. I fell in love with a new place and a new people. The Lord showed me His love for me through this dream of mine. He showed me His love is deep. He made it clear to me that I was made for this.

I prayed. He answered.

I prayed, "Break my heart for what breaks yours," and He did. He broke my heart in more ways than one. The Lord revealed to me areas in my own life where I was not putting Him first. This breaks His heart - and that broke my heart too. He revealed this to me through certain events that wrecked my heart and turned my little life upside down. I thought I had everything planned out - but the thing is: you can't plan out your life without The Lord. His plans are greater.

  Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."

I tried to plan my future on my own. But the Lord's plan for my future is way better than any plan I can dream up myself. Though my heart hurts at times and feels broken, I have hope and I'm excited for what HE has in store for me - because His love is deep and His love is wide. He knows my every need.
He broke my heart in other ways when I went to Africa and saw true poverty, real sickness, and what it means to be abandoned. This breaks His heart; it broke my heart too.
But seeing these things allowed me to know the need and be the light. We are called to be the light of the world - and being in a third world country in the middle of all these things, it was amazing to be able to share Christ's hope and love and light.

I prayed. He answered.

I prayed that God would reveal people to me. He did. He revealed to me that there are people like me. People who love, and love hard. People that desire travel. People that require adventure. People that write. People that understand what life is about. People that don't need things; people that get it.

I prayed. He answered.

I prayed that my life would change once I came back from my trip. He answered. But I am still a work in progress. The Lord answered this prayer by changing my view of what is important in life - but I constantly find myself frustrated. You see, in Uganda, I never saw a child complain about anything. That is not an exaggeration. Being back at home, I work as a camp counselor for children going into kindergarten. My days are filled with whining and complaining and crying over things hardly worth the tears. Now, I find myself constantly frustrated at people feeling entitled, people's greed, and how spoiled our children are. Don't get me wrong - I love them with all of my being, and they still bring me joy; but I can't help but think of the precious kids in Uganda who have next to nothing and never complain. They find something in the trash and it will be their toy and most treasured possession for days.

My life did change radically. My heart changed. Everything that is important to me shifted. My priorities changed.
Money doesn't matter. Material things don't matter. Where I live doesn't matter. What matters is my relationship with the Lord and that I make those around me feel loved.
Love and Christ matter.

I prayed. He answered.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment