Welcome!

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be

Friday, June 6, 2014

Hospital Days

If you know me a little, then you know I've had a dream for many years -- a dream to do medical missions in Africa.

It has been an honor and a pleasure to be able to live out my dream the past several weeks in Uganda; working at CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda -- a pediatric neurosurgery hospital.

Photo Credit: Mark Barrett

Here is what a day in the life of a pre-med intern looks like at CURE:

8am - morning devotions/worship

8:45am - neuro ward round with Dr. John, Dr, Stewart, Dr, Tomson, Dr. Edith and Dr, Joyce.

9:30am - OPD (out-patient department) to see patients for consultations, follow up and referral.

10am - tea time

11am - back to OPD to see more patients with Dr. John, Dr. Stewart, Dr. Thompson, Dr. Edith and Dr. Joyce

1:15pm - lunch

2pm - OPD

5pm - off for the day

*throughout the day, we take patients to CT or X-Ray, we will visit ICU to check on patients, and we often go to the ward to check on patients or watch Dr. John do CSF tapping (cerebrospinal fluid tapping)


CT


ICU

I have learned so much about medicine while being here -- it's like being in a classroom 24/7; but there's no studying -- it's amazing. Dr. John is the best teacher. Dr. Stewart is hilarious. Dr. Tomson knows so much about life. And Drs. Edith and Joyce are incredible examples of strong, smart, beautiful independent women.

On Monday, a patient came in and told us all of her symptoms. Dr. John looked at Ryne (another pre-med student from GCU) and me and asked "what do you think it is?" We both said with confidence, "Rheumatoid arthritis." He looked back at us and said, "yes, I think you are correct." *que fireworks* It's official - my first diagnosis!!

It's so cool to be living out pathophysiology class IN REAL LIFE.

On special days, I get to go to the OR (operating room.) These days are so special to me.






Photo Credit: Mark Barrett


Photo Credit: Mark Barrett 



I think Ryne and I have the greatest position on the whole team because we work mostly in OPD, but we also see the kids in the ward and in ICU. The nursing students just rotate between the ward and ICU and then they also get their special OR days.

However, I think being a part of OPD is so special because Ryne and I see the patients as they come in and we hear their stories. We are there when they are admitted to the ward. And when we get to witness their operations -- it's SO special because I feel like I've been on a journey with this child. I've heard their story in OPD, I've admitted them and ordered their labs and CT scan. And now I get to be a part of their surgery. Then I get to see them recover in ICU and get back to the ward before they are discharged. It's an incredible journey to go on with each patient and it's so special to be even a small part of.


This is Treasure in ICU. He recovered well


Sweet 12 day old baby in the ward

This is my dream. And The Lord blessed me with this opportunity. He promises to give us the desires of our heart - and He fulfilled His promises to me.

"Blessed is she who believed that the LORD would fulfill His promises to her!"
Luke 1:45

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment