Welcome!

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Meet Raul

Bear with me as this is the hardest post to write thus far.

Raul touched my life in ways I cannot express. This boy taught me so much.

I didn't really get to know Raul until the third day working in the village. But we hit it off right away. I've never had such a connection with a person. EVER. And so quickly!

This boy taught me what love is. I have never felt so loved. I have never loved like I love this boy. And this love developed immediately. It's probably the strongest truest love I know.

The kids that were major trouble makers (like the kid on the right) were fine around Raul.

 His smile, laughter and love are contagious. You can't help but soak it all in and pour it right back out.

He taught me SO much Spanish while in the village. We had many laughs and smiles. Even though I really don't know much Spanish, for some reason we understood each other. We speak different languages, but I kid you not, when he spoke I just knew. When I spoke, he just knew. It was truly amazing. A gift from God.

You've seen this photo in an earlier post
But you didn't know Raul yet!
So here it is... Again ;)
By the time I started talking with Raul, Ruth had already captured my heart. But this boy stole it from the moment we spoke to one another.

He was so helpful. So kind. So fun. So happy. So silly. So loving.

I have many memories that I will share with this boy until the day I die. He touched my life like no one before - and I know no one else ever will the way he did.

You can't help but be drawn to Raul. Just like these boys are
Don't know what's up with Raul's face in this one haha
But it's pretty much the most EPIC photo bomb EVER
He's an adventurous one.
And the truest friend anyone could have
This boy is so precious to me. In ways I can't explain. In ways you won't understand.
Just another shot of Raul with other
children in the village.
They're seriously drawn to him!
On the last day working in the village, I was a big ball of emotion. But I had to fight it. Knowing that I was leaving this precious boy and friend crushed my heart. CRUSHED IT. During a break from laying block, Raul pulled me aside. He gave me a bracelet. It said "Te Amo." Translation: I love you. I will cherish this gift forever.
And if that wasn't enough to push me over the edge emotionally, leaving the village definitely accomplished that.
The whole village gathered to see us off...
Raul in the very front
What was the last sight I saw leaving the village? This.
He ran down the hill chasing our van. Me crying of course. And naturally we get stuck in a mud puddle. He runs up to the window and places his hand on the window. I put my hand on the window holding it up to his. No joke, the most emotional, heart-breaking yet loving moments of my life. (Didn't get a picture because I was crying ridiculously at this point.)

I miss this boy more than you know. More than he knows. I pray each night that I will see him again. I know the Lord hears my prayers. I hope he makes this happen. And if not, Raul will always be in my heart.

What an amazing boy. 9 years old and he changed my life. Forever.

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Sweetness. I'm sure glad he got to know you too.
    I'm know he'll never forget you either. I pray you get to see each other again someday.
    xo

    ReplyDelete